Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Little Things

This weekend, I was blessed to be invited to conduct a Marriage Enrichment Seminar. I'm always amazed at how much I actually learn in preparing for such events and through observing and listening to the reactions of various attendees.  My wife, Missy, attended the seminar too, which was wonderful! During the Q & A session that I conducted on Sunday morning, she actually got the audience more relaxed by posing the first question. She's so awesome!

After the seminar was over, Missy asked me if there was anything she could do that would be helpful to our relationship and meaningful to me. My response was rather simple: "I would really appreciate it, and it would mean the world to me, if when I return home in the evenings after work, that you would greet me at the door with a hug and a kiss." I know right -- not a big deal, but nonetheless significant to me. I need that attention and daily re-connection.

I returned the favor by asking her what would be helpful and meaningful to her. Her response was also quite simple: "It would mean a lot to me if you would take some time daily to go walking with me. I need the exercise, but sometimes struggle to find the motivation to go." I followed up by asking her if she would prefer if I instigate us going walking if she would want to be the instigator. She said it would help if I brought it up.

So last night, upon returning home from a long day at work, I entered the house into a nice, clean kitchen (also something I appreciate) to be met by my beautiful wife with her sweet smile, warm embrace, and gentle kiss. I asked, "Hey, would you like for us to go walking around the track at the university sports center tonight?" She responded with an excited "Yes!" So we enjoyed a wonderful walk and some great conversation, without the kids listening in to each and every word or running interference.

I felt very good about it just as did she. And we felt like we had been able to reconnect in a simple, yet meaningful, way. All it took was a little bit of effort and some intentionality. 

It's amazing what a difference the little things can make in a marriage! And guess what? We already talked this morning and made plans to go walking again this evening. To be honest, it's just a good excuse for me to hold her hand! I'm looking forward to getting home this evening to be greeted again at the door by my thoughtful wife.


Note: This article originally appeared on my former blogsite (www.ryanfraser.org).







No comments:

Post a Comment